We are proud of our young explorers – there’s nothing like the “wow!” moment when a young visitor looks through one of our telescopes and sees the universe…
Now we need your help! We’ve always wanted our very own mission patch, just like astronauts. And we want our young explorers to design it!
These mission patches will change every year and 2020 will be the first one we do. It will feature on our merchandise so the winning design(s) will appear on patches, keyrings, stickers, possibly even the T-shirts we wear and will become a treasured memento for people who visit our Observatory.
What are mission patches?
Mission patches symbolise our ongoing exploration of the universe – the first mission patch was flown by cosmonaut Valentina Tereshkova in 1963.
How to design one for Kielder Observatory:
Your design can be carried out in any form – drawing, painting, or using computer software. We only ask that it captures our themes for 2020: hope, togetherness, community, and that it is relevant to Kielder.
How to enter:
Simply submit the form below by midnight 28th July 2020. Please note by entering, you agree to abide by the competition rules.
There are two age categories – 11 and under, and 12 to 16. Please select which age category carefully in the form below.
The two winners (one in each age category) will receive a private tour of Kielder Observatory for themselves and up to 10 friends and family. The four runners-up (two in each age category) will receive a family ticket to visit the Observatory.
For Rules, Ts & Cs, please see below submission form. Closing date for submissions is 28th July 2020.
1. This competition is open to all UK residents aged under 16, except any employee of or person directly connected with Kielder Observatory Astronomical Society (KOAS) and their immediate family members.
2. Applicants must get consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before entering the competition. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of applicants agree to the Rules and Terms and Conditions on behalf of the applicants.
3. The competition is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
4. KOAS must receive entries by 11:59pm on Tuesday 28 July 2020. Any entry which is late, incomplete or inappropriate will be deemed invalid at the discretion of the KOAS.
6. KOAS accepts no responsibility for damaged or lost entries.
7. The judges shall assess the entries and one winner and two runners-up from each age category (11 and under, and 12 to 16) will be selected. The judges’ decisions shall be final. No correspondence regarding the results will be entered into.
8. The two winners (one in each age category) will receive a private tour of Kielder Observatory for them and up to 10 friends and family. The four runners-up (two in each age category) will receive a family ticket to visit the Observatory. The prizes will be sent to the winners and runners-up by email within seven days of the winner responding to notification from KOAS that they have won.
9. The winners and runners-up will be notified by email or telephone (using the details provided at entry) within seven days of a decision being made and must provide an email address to claim their prize. If a winner or runner-up does not respond to KOAS within seven days of being notified by KOAS, then they will forfeit their prize and a replacement winner or runner-up will be selected from the other applicants. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. KOAS reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if necessary. The winner’s name will be published on the competition website and in the media. KOAS
Terms and Conditions
1. By submitting an entry, you agree to be legally bound by the Rules and these Terms and Conditions.
2. Any entry must be your original work and it must not infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trademark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights.
3. Full copyright title shall be retained by the author of any entry. By submitting any entry to KOAS (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio), you agree to grant KOAS a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display and exercise all publicity rights with respect to your entry, and/or to incorporate your entry in other works, in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your entry.
4. By submitting an entry, you agree to waive any moral rights contained in your entry. Any entry you provide shall be non-confidential.
5. By submitting an entry, you agree KOAS may use the material for any purpose and in any way it chooses, including, but not limited to, marketing, publicity, advertising and presentations.
6. KOAS (including its subsidiaries, agents or distributors) shall not be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage or for any costs, claims or demands of any nature whatsoever arising directly or indirectly out of the use of your entry or any part thereof.
7. Insofar as is permitted by law, KOAS (including its subsidiaries, agents or distributors) will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize, except where it is caused by the negligence of KOAS, its subsidiaries, agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
8. You agree to indemnify KOAS (and its subsidiaries) against any claim from any third party for any breach of the Rules or these Terms and Conditions.
9. KOAS reserves the right to update the Rules and these Terms and Conditions from time to time and any updated version will be effective as soon as it is published on www.kielderobservatory.org
11.This competition is governed by English law and English Courts have exclusive jurisdiction.